European Domains: Lithuania (.lt)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Lithuanian domain type, ie. “lt”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.lt” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .lt domains your future Lithuanian domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Lithuanian domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Lithuanian domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Lithuanian domain name registrar.
Popular in Lithuania
The Internet county code top-level domain, also known as ccTLD, for Lithuania is .lt. The official administrator for the .lt domain name is the Information Technology Development Institute at Kaunas University of Technology (KTU ITPI). They perform management functions that are needed for the .lt domain name, these being delegated by the Internet self regulation institution.
Rules which apply when deciding the name for a .lt domain are as follows:
- Maximum amount of characters allowed is 63, minimum being 2.
- Permitted characters are the roman alphabet (a-z) which are case sensitive, and special Lithuanian characters (ą, č, ę, ė, į, š, ų and ž).
- Numbers 0-9 are allowed.
- Hyphens can be used but cannot be place at the beginning or end of the domain name.
The Information Technology Development Institute released the registration of domain names which satisfied the IDN standards. This was on the 30th March, 2003. The IDN domain names are registered in ASCII representation.
On 30th March, 2003 Information Technology Development Institute released the registration of domain names satisfying the IDN standard. IDN domain names will be registered in ASCII representation.
Terms which KTU ITPI follow when taking in applications for .lt domain names are below:
- Applications for domain names come in a 'first come, first serve' basis.
- Unique names are that existing domain names in the Whois database are not repeated.
- Discrimination is not allowed, including in any applications. Whether you can create a domain name is not related to the legal position, citizen ship, place of residence or any other personal attributes. It also does not relate to the amount of Domain names already owned by the Applicant.
- The Administrator who gives out the domain names does not have preferences. It does not favour one person over another and therefore any disputes with particular names does not involve them.
- The Applicant must be positive that all data provided to the Administrator is correct.
Current statistics show that on 7th October 2009 there were 104057 registered .lt domain names.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
International domain names from BB Online since 1997