European Domains: Croatia (.hr)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Croatian domain type, ie. “hr”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.hr” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .hr domains your future Croatian domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Croatian domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Croatian domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Croatian domain name registrar.
Very popular in Croatia
The ccTLD for Croatia is .hr and it is managed by CARNet, the Croatian Academic and Research Network. This responsibility has been theirs since 1993, given to them by IANA, the Internet Assigned Number Authority.
There is a technical service which is connected with the domain administration, this being conducted by the SRCE, the University Computing Service. This provides HR-DNS. There are two second level domain names under .hr, yet to keep everything sorted there are six different ways to register. It is important that before applying for a domain name, you know which of these are appropriate for you. They are are follows:
- HR-I domain. This is for the promotion of distributing information. They are for high- quality organisations. Domain names can include natural, historic and cultural resources and can be specialised in fields of human activities.
- HR-D domain. This is for the self-employed individuals which can be used for private activity performed by an individual.
- HR-F domain. This is for the individual person and to meet their needs for a domain name.
- HR-P domain. This is for the legal person to create a virtual identity, relating to their natural identity and the registered activity of this person.
- HR-T domain. This is for the market and other needs, used with market demands. It is also for trademarks and specially protected verbal signs. These must be registered or acknowledged within Croatia.
- HR-V domain. This is for domains with special importance in distributing information. It is for high quality information providers within Croatia. These can have names of geographical facilities, natural, historic and cultural resources and fields of human activities.
The following criteria must be followed if you wish to register a domain name under .hr. These are as follows:
- The acceptable characters are the 26 letters (a-z) of the Roman Alphabet. These are not distinguished between higher and lower case.
- The digits 0-9 can be used.
- Hyphens (-) can be used in the domain name, but may not be at the beginning or end.
- A hyphen cannot be in the third or fourth place due to the IDN punycode.
- The maximum of characters allowed in a .hr domain name is 63, the minimum being 3.
- A domain name cannot consist of only digits.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
The .hr domain is administered by CARNet - Croatian Academic and Research Network, via the CARNet DNS Committee which determines policy, and the CARNet DNS Service which handles day-to-day matters. The Committee is composed of members generally associated with the academic community, and the Service is operated by SRCE.
Registrants are classified into a number of different groups with different rules about their domain registrations. A requirement of connection to Croatia, such as being a citizen, permanent resident, or registered company, is common to all of the categories except for the .com.hr. Third level domains (example.com.hr) are allowed to be registered for anyone in the world as long as they provide a local contact.
Some categories of registrants are permitted to register domains directly at the second level, but this is generally limited to one per legal entity (although there are some special categories for which additional registrations are allowed, generally involving projects considered to be of public interest).
There are also third-level registrations including of individuals in a few specialized domains such as .iz.hr (.from.hr), and an unlimited number of registrations for companies in .com.hr, but these are unpopular compared to the second-level names registered directly under .hr.
International domain names from BB Online since 1997