European Domains: Gibraltar (.gi)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Gibraltarian domain type, ie. “gi”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.gi” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .gi domains your future Gibraltarian domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Gibraltarian domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Gibraltarian domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Gibraltarian domain name registrar.
Gets some use in Gibraltar; also used in Spanish province of Girona
The Gibraltar .GI Registry, administrated by Sapphire Networks, is the registry for the ccTLD .gi. They maintain the database for this domain name. It operates on a 'first come, first serve' basis, something which applied when a single domain name is requested by several people.
If wishing to register for a .gi domain name, the following conditions must be followed:
- At the time the request for the domain server is submitted, at least two name servers for the name will be operating.
- In case of any disagreements involving a domain name, Sapphire's Domain Name Dispute Policy must be contacted.
- A .gi domain name cannot be used for any pornography or illegal activities.
- The domain name must be at least 3 characters in length.
- Before a registrar can have use of the domain name, it must be legally approved.
- Not including when the Committee decides to increase the .gi name space, all top level and second level generic names are not allowed to be used as second or third level names.
- Any .gi top level zone is to be used for organisations and businesses based in Gibraltar.
- The name must be administrated in a way which stops any danger towards operation of the DNS.
- The domain name must not go against any of the Domain Name Committee's Rules.
These are the second level domain names that are currently being managed by Gibraltar .GI Registry:
- .gi: For Gibraltar based companies, for commercial use. This domain name is for any Gibraltar based organisation wishing to register.
- .com.gi: For Commercial use. For any commercial organisation wishing to register.
- .edu.gi: For Educational purposes. This is limited to schools and Education Departments based in Gibraltar.
- .gov.gi: For Government use. For any Gibraltar government departments, bodies and funded organisations.
- .ltd.gi: For Gibraltar Limited Companies. For any Gibraltar Limited companies wishing to register a .gi domain name, the name must be identical to the Registered Company name.
- .mod.gi: For Ministry of Defence use. Limited to the Ministry of Defence Departments in Gibraltar.
- .org.gi: For non-commercial organisations. If wishing to register for a .gi domain name for an organisation but do not fit into any other sub domains, .org.gi can be used. It includes trade unions, charities, community groups. etc.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
Because of the coincidence in abbreviation, it has also been used for some domains in the Spanish province of Girona.
International domain names from BB Online since 1997