European Domains: Faroe Islands (.fo)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Faroe Islands domain type, ie. “fo”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.fo” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .fo domains your future Faroe Islands domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Faroe Islands domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Faroe Islands domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Faroe Islands domain name registrar.
Gets some use for sites, companies, and organizations related to Faroe Islands
The ccTLD (country code Top Level Domain) ".fo" is the top level domain on the Internet allocated for use by the Faroe Islands by ICANN.
The FO Council has been delegated the responsibility to manage the ".fo" domain space by the Minister of Trade and Industry. The FO Council is that entity known, in the terminology of the Internet, as the FO cc TLD Manager. The FO Operator (.fo ccTLD Operator is the service provider that directs, on behalf of the FO Council, the day-to-day operations of the .fo domain. As of 1 January 2002, the FO Operator is PF FDS (the Faroes Data Store, Inc.).
Domain Names under the .fo Top Level Domain must meet the follwowing criteria:
- A ".fo" domain name can not contain more than 63 Characters, with ".fo" included.
- A ".fo" domain name can not contain less than 4 characters.
- The characters allowed in a ".fo" domain name are the Numbers 0 to 9, the english alphabet (A-Z) and hyphen (-), which however cannot be placed at the beginning or the end of the domain name.
- ".fo" domain names are currently not compatible with IDN (International domian names) so if it is intended that the domain name shall be a Faroese name containing the following letters: "ø", "ú", "í", "ó", "ý", "ð", "æ", the applicant may substitute this with: "oe"/"o", "u", "i", "o", "y", "d", "a"/ "ae".
The following second level domain names are currently available under the ".fo" domain name: aero.fo biz.fo coop.fo edu.fo gov.fo info.fo int.fo museum.fo name.fo org.fo
The FO Council reserves the right to reject an application if the domain name requested is inconsistent with the general regulations governing the Internet, indecent, threatening or abusive. Natural persons or legal entities that are not registered in the Faroe Islands may only register trademarks, brand names or service marks that are registered with the Danish Patent and Trademark Office.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
- Population is estimated to be approx 48,500 people
- Gross Domestic Product is $2.2 billion US Dollars
- Languages recognised in the Faroe Island are Faroese, Danish
International domain names from BB Online since 1997