European Domains: Cyprus (.cy)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Cypriot domain type, ie. “cy”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.cy” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .cy domains your future Cypriot domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Cypriot domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Cypriot domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Cypriot domain name registrar.
Very popular in Cyprus
The ccTLD for the country of Cyprus is .cy and it is managed by the University of Cyprus, a non-profit making organisation. This means that its liability is limited so that it can still provide services for the whole Internet community. The domain name is only to be used by residents within Cyrus and those registering must be at least 18 years of age. If wanting a domain name to be linked with a company, the office of this company must be registered in Cyprus. .cy is limited to 1 domain name per individual and 10 per company (unless a valid reason for more can be given).
There are several secondary domains which can be placed under .cy, each restricted to particular areas:
- .ac.cy - For Academic and research institutions.
- .biz.cy - For any other Business which has been registered with the Registrar of Companies.
- .com.cy - For permanent residents of Cyprus.
- .ekloges.cy - For organisations or individuals affiliated with elections.
- .ltd.cy - For Private/Public limited companies registered with the Registrar of Companies.
- .name.cy - For Personal Names.
- .net.cy - For Internet or Network providers.
- .org.cy - Not for profit making organisations registered at the Registrar of Associations and Societies.
- .parliament.cy - For the Cyprus House of Parliament and related entities.
- .press.cy - For Press related organisations and entities.
- .pro.cy - For Professional organisations and associations.
- .tm.cy - For Trademarks officially registered at the Registrar of Trademarks.
To keep these sub-domains to their specific roles, there are checks to make sure you are allowed to register for a particular domain. To register a .com.cy, you must be prepared to provide a copy of a form of identification. For all other sub domains, you will have to show proof that you are allowed to register to these restricted domains.
There are certain rules which must be followed if you wish to register for a .cy domain name. These are as follows:
- The Domain name cannot relate to any politician or any political or historic activities. This would need permission from the Cypriot authority which will need to be given as proof.
- Geographical names which can be found on maps cannot be registered by an individual, only by the relevant local authority.
- If a Company contains Geographical reference, an 'entity' name must be included in the registered name.
The domain naming criteria is:
- The Roman Alphabet (a-z) may be used.
- Must be at least 3 characters, minimum.
- The Digits 0-9 can be used.
- A Hyphen (-) can be used, but is not accepted at the beginning or end of the domain name.
Registration is limited to residents of Cyprus or companies and organizations registered with the government there; the personal or business registration number is required on registration. Some additional restrictions exist for various subdomains, but .com.cy is unrestricted to Cypriot entities.
- Population is estimated to be 835,000 people
- Gross Domestic Product is $19.69 billion US Dollars
- Languages recognised in Cyprus are Greek and Turkish
International domain names from BB Online since 1997