Canadian Domains: Canada (.ca)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Canadian domain type, ie. “ca”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.ca” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .ca domains your future Canadian domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Canadian domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Canadian domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Canadian domain name registrar.
BackgroundCanadian domain names have the suffix ".ca", and are restricted to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada or trademark holders (the domain name must match the trademark).
There are other groups who can register a Canadian domain name, these include:
- Corporation: A corporation under the laws of Canada or any province or territory of Canada;
- Trust/Partnership of which more than sixty-six and two thirds percent of its members are either Canadian citizens, or permanent residents of Canada
- Association of which at least 80% of its members/employees are either Canadian citizens, or permanent residents of Canada
- Trade union/Political party/Educational institution (as recognised in Canada)
- Library, Archive or Museum that is located in Canada, and not fundamentally formed for making profits, i.e. it must be a genuine institution as is generally considered
- Her Majesty the Queen: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second and her successors
The Canadian registry ("CIRA") reserves the right to request documentation to prove the validity of information provided by the registrant when registering the domain name. This can be requested by the registry at any time while the domain is registered. If this information isn't supplied to the registry, and the registrant has not contacted the registry to explain why the requested information hasn't been provided, the domain may be suspended for 60 days. If the matter isn't resolved between the registrant and registrar, the domain may be cancelled and eventually made available for general registration again.
The registry also state that the registrant must immediately inform them of any pending or threatened claim, demand, action, cause of action, proceeding, lawsuit, investigation or application ("Claim") in relation to any Domain Name Registration
The domain name must also not be used to slander or discriminate against another person, or be used in connection with this. The domain name must also not be used for any purposes which are illegal, or would bring the Canadian registry into disrepute.
When you register a Canadian domain name, under ".ca", you are accepting the Canadian registries rules and agreeing to their terms and conditions. As part of this agreement, the registry reserve the right to publish or otherwise make available the following information used in the domain registration, for the Registrant and Technical / Administrative contact:
- postal address(es)
- email address(es)
- telephone number(s)
- fax number(s)
If the registrant breaches the registration agreement at any time during the registration period of a domain name, the Canadian registry CIRA may ban the individual or organisation from registering new Canadian domain names for up to three years, at its discretion.
- Population is estimated to be 33,410,000 people
- Gross Domestic Product is $1,269 trillion US Dollars
- Languages recognised in Canada are English, French
International domain names from BB Online since 1997