Oceania & Pacific Domains: Australia (.au)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Australian domain type, ie. “au”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.au” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .au domains your future Australian domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Australian domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Australian domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Australian domain name registrar.
Commonly used in Australia
.au is the Internet country code top-level domain name (ccTLD) for Australia, officially known as the Commonwealth of Australia, a country in the Southern Hemisphere. Australia also includes the island Tasmania and other smaller islands.
The .au domain name is operated and sponsored by the au. Domain Administration Ltd (auDA). They represent .au at ICANN and other international Internet service providers. They became the official body for the .au domain in October 2001. As the .au domain name is intended for citizens of Australia, it is limited to these individuals and companies located as entities in the Australian continent/islands. Applicants may only register at a third-level domain under various second-level domain labels:
- .asn.au - for incorporated associations.
- .com.au - for commercial entities: businesses and companies.
- .net.au - for commercial entities: businesses and companies.
- .id.au - general domain for Australian citizens.
- .org.au - for non-governmental organisations and charities.
- .info.au - not open for new registrations.
- .conf.au - not open for new registrations.
- .edu.au - restricted for educational establishments registered at federal or state level.
- .gov.au - restricted for Australian governmental entities.
- .csiro.au - restricted for the Commonwealth Science and Industry Research Organisation (CSIRO).
- .act.au - Restricted for entities located in the Australian geographic location of the Australian Capital Territory.
- .nsw.au - Restricted for entities located in New South Wales.
- .nt.au - Restricted for entities located in the Northern Territory.
- .qld.au - Restricted for entities located in Queensland.
- .sa.au - Restricted for entities located in South Australia.
- .tas.au - Restricted for entities located in Tasmania.
- .vic.au - Restricted for entities located in Victoria.
- .wa.au - Restricted for entities located in Western Australia.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
International domain names from BB Online since 1997